Thursday, June 21, 2012

Vacation 2012–A recap

In case nobody noticed, my blog spent a week on autopilot. I scheduled posts and fled the country. Okay, maybe that’s misleading. We did leave the country, but most of the week was spent in Alaska. I have posted Nature Log entries from this trip, even though this trip really didn’t fit my normal nature structure. I am also holding on to my pictures right now. I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I don’t want my text to be pushed back until I can get shots up on Flickr. You can find my log posts in order at:
Day 1
Day 2 – Morning
Day 2 – Evening
Day 2 – Night
Day 3 – Morning
Day 3 – Juneau
Day 3 – Night
Day 4 - Skagway and the Yukon
Day 4 – Night
Day 5 - Glacier Bay
Day 5 - More Glacier Bay
Day 5 – Evening
Day 6 – Ketchikan
Day 7 – Morning
Day 7 – Afternoon
Day 7 – Victoria
Day 7 - Night
Now for a few miscellaneous items that were not logged:

Our way to the cruise was a little annoying. We went through Mapquest, and we were almost too slavish to their directions. They told us that if we reached a certain street, we went too far. The parking garage was after that street. Even though the return directions assumed that we stayed on the other side of the street, we found it a lot easier getting back.

The ship had a jogging track and a promenade for people who want to go around the ship. The promenade had signs telling people that they were supposed to walk. Several people on the trip turned this into a jogging track anyway. I never saw anyone jogging around the jogging track until the day that we returned to Seattle.
I might not be the kind of person who spends time at pools and hot tubs, but others used these things in the rain. While years have passed since our family took a trip to Calivermia, I remembered seeing people in line for Splash Mountain wearing ponchos in a light drizzle. It was kind of nice to see people who want to get wet not fearing getting wet this time around.

How about that weather? We saw a lot of rain while at sea. Outside of the windy seventh day, we could justify bringing our cameras to the sheltered promenade of deck 7. While docked, however, the weather was mostly dry. I think that we had a few sprinkles a couple of times, but it was just odd how the weather seemed to dry up every time that we left the ship.

In case anyone wants to bump into blog posts of this trip, I’m going to provide some specific details that could theoretically help with searches:

This Glacier Bay cruise took place on Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Pearl from June 10-June 17, 2012. We started in Seattle and visited Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park (Margerie Glacier), Ketchikan, and Victoria.

One last thing: Why did they apologize? There really were bears on the starboard side at Glacier Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment