Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 5 - Glacier Bay

We arrived this morning at Glacier Bay National Park. On our way through, we encountered Sea Lions, Gulls (including Glaucous-Winged Gulls), Cetaceans (Porpoises), Otters, a Loon, Pelagic Cormorants, Puffins, Pigeon Guillemots, Bald Eagles, Common Mergansers, Black-legged Kittiwakes, Terns, Canada Geese, and Surf Scoters. Not only that, but I located a distant Brown Bear with a couple of cubs without anyone having to point them out to me. Shortly after my discovery, an announcement was made about a bear being sighted off the starboard side. Since that was the side that I was on, I figured that they were looking at the same bears. Then another announcement came up. They apologized for telling us about the bears because they couldn't find them. It sounded like they thought that the information was unreliable and that there really were no bears. We spent about an hour by Margerie Glacier and the less noteworthy neighbor, Grand Pacific Glacier. Margerie was the more scenic and active of the two, and we did get to see a little calving. During one of the crashes of ice, announcements were made regarding wolf and bear sightings. I never saw either, unless you count my earlier bear sighting. I will probably go out again later, especially with expectations of marine life around 2-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment