Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 3 - Juneau

Today was a rafting day. I was persuaded to do some of the paddling. The river gave us enough to focus on that wildlife was an afterthought. We started off behind the other rafts. We even helped give one of our rivals by giving them a push with our boat. Before too long, we really took off ahead of the others. Our new found speed seemed to slightly intensify the rapids that we were heading through (probably because we had enough speed to go right through them rather than focusing on avoiding rough spots). Unfortunately, we might have been going a little too fast. We lost sight of the other boats, and slowed down. The jokes slowed down. We even took the time to view the local wildlife. In addition to the Gulls (including Bonaparte's and Mew), Crows, Pigeons, and Eagles that we saw before rafting, we bumped into Ravens, Swallows (nesting in the hillside), a Kingfisher, and even more Eagles and Crows. I didn't get a whole lot of pictures, and I don't think that I got any wildlife shots because I was using my #3 camera (AW100). I think that I also had two or three glacier shots with my XS before stashing it away to keep it from getting wet. This was probably for the best since we did get wet. I left my comfort zone and purchased a couple pictures. It was $30 for two, but I don't know when the next time will be for me to ever get a similar shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment