Monday, April 9, 2018

F2P

I have already shared my thoughts on downloadable content for computer and video games. Another change that has emerged in the industry is the development of free-to-play games (F2P). This is another topic that I felt like discussing.


Technically speaking, there are several types of F2P games. Some are personal projects such as people learning software development that are unattached to a desire to generate revenue. Some are community-driven remakes of classic titles. Some are used to promote products, essentially turning these games into advertising expense. Most F2P games fit a different category, games that use real-world cash transactions to fund continuous development. This is the type I will be focusing on.

In many ways, this model makes sense. Instead of focusing on obtaining funds ahead of development based on assumptions of a game's popularity, most revenue is generated during ongoing development based off of actual interest (and other factors such as demographics).

The big problem with this model is that the developer has to convince gamers that spending money will be worth it for them. While some games have had success with selling cosmetic items, most games sell some sort of in-game advantage such as accelerating progress or even limiting how successful you can be without paying.

Some F2P games have been criticized for establishing a pay-to-win model (P2W). What actually qualifies as P2W is a matter of opinion. P2W is generally most visible in player-versus-player match ups (PvP), which I have personally never enjoyed, where those who pay tend to have a distinct advantage over those who don't. If a developer becomes desperate, it becomes more likely that a game will embrace P2W concepts. Because of obvious P2W components in most F2P games that I have tried, I don't enjoy most F2P games.

I have a limited budget, and I have to admit that I have never put money into a F2P game. I have played several, and one has really stood out for me. I have been playing a lot of Gems of War lately. If I had more money, I absolutely would put real-world cash into that game. Although I would be looking at the value of such a transaction, my primary interest would be in paying for continued development of a game that I have already enjoyed.

In the past, gamers were expected to pay up front for the games they played. They expected the game to be complete before they got their hands on a copy. This type of game absolutely should and will persist. F2P essentially adds a secondary market for low-cost games that evolve over a longer period of time. Some traditional gamers will never embrace paying for what they already have. This mindset does not work for F2P. Development costs money, and that money has to come from somewhere. If you want these games to succeed, you need to consider putting your money into development.

No comments:

Post a Comment