Thursday, June 9, 2016

It's better to prevent problems than to wait until it's too late

In case you missed it, one of my favorite personal projects has been the development of my defining beliefs. Although I already have a solid list of defining beliefs, I refuse to stop improving my understanding of the beliefs that drive who I am. I have decided to add another item to my list: It's better to prevent problems than to wait until it's too late.

A really good example of this is natural disasters. When an earthquake hits, we frequently look at how that region could have better prepared. We make changes after the disaster rather than ahead.
The interesting thing about earthquakes is that they release stress that has built. The risk is usually highest when the earthquake hits. It's at its lowest when we implement changes.

There is also an issue with neglect. After we forget about a disaster, we have less motivation to maintain the measures we implemented to prepare us for the next big one.

Obviously, this is not just about natural disasters. When you take a reactionary approach to everything, you will usually only act when you are too late. I frequently show concern over mental health for the same reason.

Preparing for a disaster after the disaster hits won't bring back lives lost. Similarly, addressing mental health after you snap won't prevent you from snapping.

This is kind of a tough area for me. I have looked for a mentally healthy lifestyle for years with no success. If I can't live a healthy lifestyle, I have to manage the harm. This has become an important part of my life, and mental health is a consideration for most of my major life decisions. I would be a fool to think that I am in the clear in regards to mental health, but at least I have been able to maintain my sanity in this insane world.

No comments:

Post a Comment