Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My current gaming plans

I recently decided to purchase an Xbox One. My previous plans were to buy a Steam Machine instead. I explained the reasoning behind why I changed my mind, and I mentioned some changes in how I plan on handling the Steam Machine. Now, I feel like providing a better explanation regarding my video game plans.


First of all, I have already purchased and received my Xbox One. It has been set up in the coolest room available to me. I will probably move it at some point, but I won't need to in the near future.

I have ordered the Steam Link (and a Steam Controller). I should get it in October. I will set up the Steam Link in the living room. Since this device is used for streaming, I will have to turn on the computer in my bedroom before playing anything.

It's possible to add non-Steam games to the Steam client, and I should be able to use the Steam Link for those games as well. There should also be ways for me to stream other applications. While I have no intentions of creating an Excel spreadsheet in the living room, especially when I plan on relying primarily on a controller, it might be nice to add an option to use programs such as a browser in the living room.

I have plans beyond the Xbox One/Steam Link setup, but I'm not ready to go any further at this time. My computer is getting kind of old. It would be a huge disruption for me right now to replace it while I'm still struggling with a huge backlog of pictures and some personal projects. After I feel that I have caught up to the most important tasks and have thing under control (unless my computer stops functioning properly before we reach that century), I will buy a new computer. I am also planning on changing to a touchscreen monitor at that time.

When I get my next computer, I want to completely remove certain sensitive files. The only way to properly do that is to completely wipe out the hard drive. There are some CD-based tool that can perform this task. What this ultimately means is that I will no longer have an operating system installed.

Usually, I just get rid of computers when I replace them. That shouldn't happen next time. Instead, I plan on moving the computer to the living room.

Windows is not the ideal platform for a living room device controlled primarily by a controller. I plan on installing SteamOS. It might be nice having a dual-boot setup to give me a better selection of titles, but I don't even know where my recovery discs are. I'm not dishing out the money for a copy of Windows to install as a secondary operating system. This computer will be running SteamOS as its only operating system.

From the looks of things, I might have to upgrade. I don't think my graphics card meets the minimum requirements for SteamOS. While I can't rule out the possibility that SteamOS can work on slightly older cards, the minimum will probably be cheap by the time I make the change. This will likely be the only expense on the actual Steam Machine.

Having my current computer acting as a Steam Machine will free up my Steam Link. I will not get rid of this device. Instead, I will move it around. There are a couple of places that I could set it up if I want to play games outside of my bedroom or the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment