Thursday, June 25, 2015

Reconsidering my next game console

It all started with a joke. If Rory McIlroy PGA Tour shipped with Chambers Bay, I might have to buy an Xbox One. As soon as I started saying that, I realized that things have changed since I decided that I would prioritize a Steam Machine. I have listed these changes below.


Steam Link

Valve has announced a $50 device that will stream games from a computer. Although I like the idea of having some games playing natively in case anything happens to my computer or I just don't want to have to turn one on in another room before playing, streaming was always one of the primary appeals of a Steam Machine. I don't feel that the Steam Link will take the place of a Steam Machine for me, but it could justify delaying the purchase until Steam Machines have been able to mature.

Backwards Compatibility

Microsoft recently announced that backwards compatibility will be appearing on the Xbox One later this year. One of my initial complaints regarding the Xbox One was the lack of backwards compatibility. While the approach being taken means that I won't be able to play all of my games, I like the idea of being able to play my existing games on a console in another room (without having to buy another Xbox 360 while they are phasing it out).

Increased Steaming Media Consumption

When I bought a television set last year, I made sure to include internet functionality. Cable prices keep going up, and I wanted some protection in case I had to drop cable in the future. After buying my television set, I found Vudu. I also saw their promotion for half price Disc-to-Digital when converting ten or more DVDs. I now have somewhere around 200 titles available for streaming (I went overboard and have access to a shared library). I want easy access to these titles on a second television set.

Steam Machines and the Xbox One would both provide access to my UltraViolet library, but the environment would be different. Steam Machines would rely on a controller designed to simplify PC input. I don't think there is a legitimate Vudu program for Linux, so I would probably have to use a clunky browser interface. The Xbox One would be optimized from the very beginning for a living room environment, making it a more comfortable experience.

An Alternative Idea

When talking about the possibility of a Steam Machine, one thing has kept bothering me. I fully intend to use my computer more than a Steam Machine. I'm a little hesitant to buy a second computer that will be more advanced and used less than the computer in my bedroom.

My current computer is getting old. I'm not ready to replace it, but I would rather buy a new Windows PC than a Steam Machine. If I replace my computer, what should I do with it? It's possible that I already have my Steam Machine. I might have to update its graphics card, but I can probably convert my current computer into a Steam Machine once I'm ready to move on. That would be far more affordable than buying a new computer and a Steam Machine.

Conclusion

It appears that an Xbox One would be a much better purchase for me at this time than a Steam Machine. I always intended to buy an Xbox One, but the Steam Machine is no longer ahead the Xbox One for my priorities.

I should probably point out something else while I'm ranting. Our long-term forecast for this summer has me convinced that we are in for some absolute misery.I have access to a portable air conditioner, but there is only one room where I'm comfortable using it. This means that my entire summer will essentially have me trapped in a single room. I need more available for me to do in that room.

Last year, I insisted that the Xbox One plus the Kinect would not be worth $500 to me. With the changes I am looking at, I now feel that the Xbox One, Kinect, Streaming Media, backup Xbox 360, and desperation to remain sane this summer is enough to justify a $500 purchase. I might even pick up Rory McIlroy PGA tour while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment