Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Why I hate Veterans Day

I hate propaganda. I hate anything that tries to manipulate us to believe in or support something without regard to reality. When I feel like I'm being pushed, I push back.


Independence Day is a good example of this. We are expected to celebrate our country without any regards to what this country actually stands for. We are supposed to blindly support this nation when we should be trying to address its numerous faults. If the mainstream demands that I support Independence Day, I'm going to find something else.

What's a better day to celebrate than Independence Day? Right now, my state means more to me than my country. If this country was what it was supposed to be, the state should be more significant in our lives than the nation. I decided to celebrate my state. What day should I use to celebrate my state? The logical choice would be the day we became a state, November 11, 1889.

This country has taken a lot away from our state. They renamed Tahoma. They wouldn't let us call ourselves Columbia. When they forced us to call ourselves Washington instead, they used the name of our nation's capital to prevent us from doing so. They have even limited the ability of local businesses to name themselves after local geography. I know that the date for Veterans Day was selected based off of the end of World War I, but there are numerous days in history that could be tied to veterans. Veterans Day taking place on our birthday is yet another example of the government taking away from our state.

I'm not going to let our government push me around. As far as I'm concerned, today is not Veterans Day. Today is Washington's 125th birthday. Happy birthday, Washington!

No comments:

Post a Comment