Thursday, November 20, 2014

Don't be a statistic

It's time for the latest round of I hate that cliche. This time, I am going to criticize the "Don't be a statistic" nonsense.


This cliche is used to throw seemingly problematic statistics to discourage certain activities. After the numbers are presented, we hear those words. For example, we might hear how people who use drugs are more likely to drop out of school. Then, "Don't be a statistic."

There are two huge problems with the cliche. Let's start with what I consider to be the lesser of the two. The types of numbers presented will typically include you as part of the statistics no matter what choices you make. In the above example, using drugs will still involve you in the statistics just as much as staying clean.

The other big problem is that the statistics can easily be turned around. The example given could easily be converted to people who avoid using drugs are more likely to become products of the school. This would again be followed by, "Don't be a statistic." Either type of person is just as much of a statistic as the other.

I was originally going to use an absurd made up example, but I thought that I would use a more traditional use of the cliche. I want to point out that I do not approve of drug abuse. I also have no problems with school-aged children pursuing education outside of a restrictive schooling environment.

The point I'm trying to make is that "Don't be a statistic" is not the way to go. The statistics can be misleading, and you will be a statistic either way. There are much better arguments that can be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment