Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sucking the skill out of the game

The NHL has been bragging about the parity of NHL teams since they implemented the salary cap. Personally, I think that parity is just an illusion. The teams are as uneven as ever before. The real difference is that an increase in the element of chance has decreased the value of skill and work ethic.


I remember watching playoff games involving the Blackhawks and Bruins. Both teams utilized a refuse-to-play strategy. They would sit back, cross their fingers, and hope the bounces would go their way. With the rise in flukey goals as well as other elements of chance (crapshhot penalties among them), this style won both teams the Stanley Cup.

Of particular concern to me is the game that won the Bruins the Stanley Cup. The Bruins played what was easily the most uninspired game seven performance that I have ever seen. They were clearly outplayed from start to finish. Thanks to a couple of lucky goals, they won anyway.

This refuse-to-play style is one of the reasons that I consider the game to be at its worst right now. The Blackhawks and Bruins play a style that is so boring that they could put basketball fans to sleep. We should be demanding and getting more than that.

I wish the league would bring back the skill and work ethic that made the sport the world's most exciting. Forget the illusion of parity. I care more about entertainment. I want quality performances to determine the outcome, not a coin toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment