Sunday, June 29, 2014

2014 Road Trip - Lassen to Klamath

Oops. I forgot to mention yesterday’s rundown of our campground walkaround. I wasn’t bothering with counts. There was a duckling but I couldn’t find a mom. In the middle of the lake, rafters were chasing other ducks. It was a female Mallard with ducklings. The young were noticeably older than the lone duckling. This was obviously a different family. We also encountered a Robin and a Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel.


Now to the new stuff. We backtracked for the second straight day. More specifically, we visited Bumpbottom Hades. Actually, that’s what my sister calls it. It’s really Bumpass Hell. She says she likes the name, but she won’t say it. I don’t know why Bumpass has to be censored. That’s just a guy’s name.

The actual trail, now that I’m finally getting on topic, took us to an area of hydrothermal activity similar but smaller than what you would see at Yellowstone.

Our next stop was the Devastated Area. This is essentially Lassen’s version of the Blast Zone.

We made one final walk before leaving Lassen. This was the Lily Pond Trail. We didn’t bother grabbing one of their guides at the trailhead, so we don’t know what we were supposed to be looking at.

Outside of Lassen, we really only had one stop on our pseudo-itinerary. We tried a waterfall that exceeded a mere trickle. Success! We stopped at Burley Falls. This was definitely the most impressive waterfall so far.

I kept counts at Bumpass Hell and Lily Pond. I kept limited notes at Devastated Area and Burley Falls. Between those site, we saw Chipmunks, Golden-mantled Ground Squirrels, a Sapsucker, other Ground Squirrels, Grosbeaks, and nesting Ospreys. I might add an incidental sighting on eBird. We saw Black Swifts flying around Burley Falls, and I would like that species on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment