Saturday, June 28, 2014

2014 Road Trip - D.L. Bliss to Lassen

We are still skipping a lot to make sure we get around to the most important stops. Even with the push to move, we started the day by backtracking to Emerald Bay. From there, we looked at Vikingsholm and out at the island. I have been moving a little from my lazy mode and kept counts.


Our next stop was Sugar Pine State Park. This is supposed to include one of the better natural areas around Lake Tahoe.

After Sugar Pine, we continued North along the West side of the lake. Then we saw something sick and wrong. We passed through a town in Calivermia called Tahoma. That’s our word. It has no place in Calivermia. I guess they wanted to take that like they have taken everything else in Washington. Just so you know, they got Tahoma’s elevation wrong. They said Tahoma was six thousand something feet. We all know that Tahoma is really over fourteen thousand feet. We also noticed a bus headed for Tahoma. That’s got to be the longest bus route I’ve seen.

Donner Memorial State Park was next. We took some pictures of their statue and walked the nature trail. Laziness kicked in again because I knew we would spend some time indoors. I’m not going to include indoor time for a bird count, and I don’t want to deal with two checklists from the same place.

We left the highway for Plumas Eureka State Park. This was mostly historical, so I deemphasized bird watching.

After that, we pushed to Lassen. We made a couple quick stops at the Visitor Center and a viewpoint. Since it’s a Saturday, we didn’t want to take too long. We have set up camp at Summit Lake South.

Sightings not listed on checklists include Barn Swallows, Chipmunks, Tanagers, Douglas Squirrels, Ground Squirrels, and Steller’s Jays.

UPDATE 1: I have added pictures from Emerald Bay State Park and an eBird checklist.

UPDATE 2: I have added pictures from Ed Z'berg Sugar Pine Point State Park and an eBird checklist.

UPDATE 3: I have added a picture from Donner Memorial State Park.

UPDATE 4: I have added pictures from Plumas-Eureka State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment