Sunday, February 16, 2014

GBBC 2014 Day 3

It was another two-location day for the Great Backyard Bird Count. After Chambers Creek Properties, I visited Fort Steilacoom Park.


My Chambers Creek trip was solo. This changed my course from day 1. Instead of starting and ending at the Central Meadow, I started and ended by the North Meadow. Other than that, the only noteworthy difference is that I walked part of the South Beach and the entire North Beach. Day 1 was just part of the North Beach. You should be able to figure out the specifics of today's route by looking at the order of today's checklists and day 1's blog post.

A little quirk between day one and day three deals with the Grandview Trail and the switchbacks on the North side of the park. Since I started in the middle of the two today, I had to split that segment into two. The Grandview Trail segment starts at the northeast corner of the park and heads south along the Grandview Trail. My last checklist, labeled as Chambers Creek - North, consists of the Northern switchbacks and the Northwestern segment of the Grandview Trail. I passed behind the playground to reach the northeastern entrance. That means I have 9 checklists today instead of 8 for Chambers Creek.

During the walk through the canyon, it occurred to me that I hadn't seen many woodpeckers. Shorty after that thought, I bumped into a Downy Woodpecker and two Pileated Woodpeckers (and eventually more flickers). I tried to have similar thoughts regarding sandpipers while walking the beach. Unfortunately, I am still sans-sandpiper.

Although there was nothing special for Fort Steilacoom Park, it was unlikely that I was going to find Northern Shovelers or Ruddy Ducks by Chambers Creek. This gives me two extra species that I wasn't expecting to count during the GBBC. That also gives me 10 checklists for the day.

Today's checklists can be found at:

No comments:

Post a Comment