Wednesday, June 5, 2013

General Rule Changes

I think it’s time to take a step back. I have criticized the NHL for making numerous rule changes that have devastated the entertainment value of the game. How about the bigger picture? Obviously, I’m not a fan.

I am not a traditionalist. I don’t believe in keeping everything the same through the end of time. While it’s not always advised, it is possible to make a good thing better.

A lot of people say that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I don’t like this phrase because there is always room for improvement. In this case, however, the saying works. I’m no longer concerned with what we do if it ain’t broke because the game is now broken. When the game was at its best, the commissioner was adamant about the need to change the rules. Now that the game is legitimately broken, he warns about making hasty decisions.

While it’s possible to improve on something that works well, you have to worry about negative consequences. You have to be cautious about making changes, or you could wind up doing some serious harm. When things aren’t working, the negative consequences of change aren’t as significant. In other words, it should be easier to implement changes when things aren’t working than when they are. The game is broken, and we are now in desperate need of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment