Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chambers Creek Ospreys - 2012

For the first time in months, I visited Chambers Creek Properties without seeing our local Ospreys. I’m sure that there will still be a few lingering sightings, but I think I can go ahead and recap the year in Ospreys.
My first sighting this years was on April 5. Several Ospreys were fighting over the nesting platform. These two took their fight to a light on the other end of the dock.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
By the nesting platform, the confrontation involved three Ospreys at one point.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
When not fighting, I snapped a shot just prior to one of the Ospreys fishing.
Chambers Creek Osprey
While the fighting would continue, one of the Ospreys was bold enough to bring a stick to the nest, perhaps making a claim.
Chambers Creek Osprey
When the Ospreys arrived, they didn’t exactly have the dock to themselves. Brandt’s Cormorants are wintering birds out there, but there is an overlap as you should be able to tell from this shot.
Chambers Creek Osprey
With the nest in development, I frequently aimed my camera at the platform. This made it a little easier to get shots of them landing.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Ospreys also returned to a nest on the BNSF bridge over Chambers Creek.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Eventually, I managed some shots of the Ospreys landing with nesting material.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Then I could watch them actual working on building the nest.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Not all action shots were focused on the nest. I would occasionally shoot at one of the Ospreys in flight.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Back at the nest, I managed to shoot this Osprey joining its mate with a nice fresh fish.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Here’s another shot of an Osprey in flight.
Chambers Creek Osprey
As well as an Osprey in flight with nesting material.
Chambers Creek Osprey
After some time had passed and numerous branches and twigs fell in the water below, the Ospreys’ nest was finally starting to look like a nest.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
A few days later, I managed to shoot the nest with just one Osprey. Within a couple weeks, the eggs had been laid (My best guess is May 4 or earlier).
Chambers Creek Osprey
There’s a pole near the railroad tracks that the Ospreys seem to enjoy. This is one of the best spots to get up close with the Ospreys.
Chambers Creek Osprey
If you don’t like the Osprey turning its head away from the camera, how about this shot?
Chambers Creek Osprey
This is the same pole, but this Osprey isn’t quite so still.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Back towards the BNSF bridge, this is about as close as I can get.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Here we have one of our Ospreys feeding.
Chambers Creek Osprey
We have Bald Eagles in the area as well. Ospreys and Eagles are not exactly friends.
Osprey Vs. Bald Eagle
I also managed to shoot a bit of an altercation between an Osprey and a Red-winged Blackbird.
Red-winged Blackbird Vs. Osprey
And a Crow.
Crow Vs. Osprey
On June 21, I saw the young for the first time. I found two in the nest, although someone had told me that there were actually three. Eventually, I managed to find the third.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
I actually got a bit of a laugh when one of the young seemed to take over the parents’ jobs and started moving around one of the branches on the nest.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
At times, the young would hide. This allowed me to shoot the parents on a completed nest.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
With the young growing, the parents were more active in searching for food.
Chambers Creek Osprey
I also got a shot of one of the young being fed.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Periodically, I watched one of the young flap and flap and go absolutely nowhere.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Here’s a shot of an Osprey fishing.
Chambers Creek Osprey
And catching the fish.
Chambers Creek Osprey
And another shortly afterwards.
Chambers Creek Osprey
The Ospreys continued work on the nest. Here we have one of the parents bringing nesting material as one of the young watches.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Here’s a messy situation. An Osprey, a bald eagle, and a gull. These three weren’t exactly thrilled with each other.
Bald Eagle, Osprey, and Gull
Here we have one of the Ospreys landing next to the nest.
Chambers Creek Osprey
And here’s one flying with a fish.
Chambers Creek Osprey
The young were getting big, and I managed to shoot two of them facing each other.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Then they were kind enough to turn to the camera.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
After a few days of some nice hops, one of the young got enough air on July 28 for me to say that they had definitely started to fly.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
I managed to shoot one of the young nice and close to one of the parents.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Two of the young might have turned their back to me for this next shot, but I couldn’t help posting a shot of the third Osprey yawning.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Here’s another shot with all three young. This time, they were kind enough to turn their heads.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
I was still shooting the parents as they carried fish to the nest.
Chambers Creek Osprey
As well as the more typical flying Osprey pictures.
Chambers Creek Osprey
There are some old support structures near the dock that the young seem to enjoy. That is as close as I have managed to get to the young once their flying became a little stronger.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Of course, I tend to prefer shots with their beaks open.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Here’s a shot with the young sharing the structure with one of the parents.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
At one point, I watched one of the young take off from the dock.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Fly up to the nest.
Chambers Creek Osprey
And land.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
Here’s a shot of feeding time.
Chambers Creek Ospreys
I had not personally seen the young fishing (until August 19), but they seemed to have an interest in what was going on in the water beneath them.
Chambers Creek Osprey
This time, we have the same bird with its head up.
Chambers Creek Osprey
This is one of the young flying around.
Chambers Creek Osprey
I got another picture from that support structure of one of the young.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Two, actually.
Chambers Creek Osprey
I didn’t abandon the adults.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Especially when they had fish.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Here’s yet another close shot of one of the young.
Chambers Creek Osprey
This isn’t my best shot, but how often do you see a Bald Eagle flying upside down in order to evade an Osprey?
Osprey Vs. Bald Eagle
On August 19, I found a young Osprey near the dam on Chambers Creek. These birds were clearly willing to spend time away from the nest. This shot was taken four days later in the same general area.
Chambers Creek Osprey
How did it get there? Flying of course.
Chambers Creek Osprey
I managed another close shot, but this one was a little more active.
Chambers Creek Osprey
They still used the nest. Or what little nest remained. This one seemed upset about something. It just kept screaming.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Let’s wrap this up with a shot of an adult Osprey shortly after catching a fish.
Chambers Creek Osprey
Then flying with that fish.
Chambers Creek Osprey
One more thing. They recently built a new Osprey nesting platform on the South Dock. This should make things a little bit more interesting next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment