Monday, June 24, 2019

Google memo

A controversy was sparked when a Google employee was fired for distributing a memo through Google that crossed a line. My position on free speech in regards to employment has been that employers should only act when an individual's words have implications on the business. Since the memo was distributed within the company, Google should have a right to step in.

There is one key difference between this example of speech and most issues that I have discussed. The memo was not aimed at the public. I am in agreement with Google's decision to terminate employment, but there is a caveat to this.

With this story, the American media acted like the American media. Important information was conveniently omitted from all the reports that I read. I never found out the purpose for the communication channel that was used.

Google should not allow any platform they maintain to be used to push one individual's controversial narrative. Thanks to the media, I don't know if that is indeed Google's policy. If Google has allowed the same platform to be used for controversial liberal propaganda, there could be some serious ethical concerns. I have long insisted that freedom of thought is more fundamental than freedom of speech. This means that Google should be consistent in policy regardless of what people think.

I am not trying to be accusatory. Again, I agree with Google's decision. The issue here is that there are some unknown details. Like always, the American media put the narrative above the facts. If this were purely a work channel, then I will back the narrative, not just the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment