Monday, January 1, 2018

Yearly Blog Update 2018

Throughout 2017, I have been feeling overwhelmed. I have spent years adding more and more personal projects to my life. Although I have cut back on a few projects, those cutbacks have always been to make room for something bigger. It has been clear to me for a long time that something would eventually have to give.

In the middle of the year, I hit that point. I couldn't keep up with all of my projects, so I forced myself to reduce my workload. Blog posts moved from an every-other-day approach to one post for about every three days.

That change could be viewed as an emergency measure for me. Now that I am doing my yearly reevaluation, I can better sort out how I intend to handle my online presence for the new year. You can expect a number of noteworthy changes. I will break them down as I evaluate how I am currently handling different segments of my online presence.


Random Rants and Ramblings


Aside from my mid-year changes, there is another big change coming to my personal blog. I have decided to revise my handling of My Idea Outlet. I will explain this in the My Idea Outlet section of this post.

The War Between Schooling and Education


There are no major changes expected to my education blog. I might try to move some of my posts over to Tumblr. This could result in a slight drop in the number of posts to Blogger.

Pictures from a Sub-Amateur


I couldn't keep up with challenge pictures this year. That left me to only posting about the progress I was making on my photo collection. It's hard for me to justify maintaining a blog for one post per month.

I feel that my primary Tumblr blog has filled some of the purpose of my original photo blog while expanding to other experience-related posts. I feel that I can essentially merge these two. Tumblr would be the better format for the combination since a lot of the posts will be short.

Tumblr - maritimeorca


As I stated above, my primary Tumblr blog will be absorbing some of my work that was previously posted to my Blogger photo blog. Progress updates will probably become a little looser, generally only pointing out changes to how progress is being made. To help with my overload of work that I had been doing, some posts might count towards my blogging quota.

My Idea Outlet


I have never been satisfied with the format for My Idea Outlet. To try to get each paragraph to make sense on its own, I have ended up with some seriously awkward paragraph structures. This is especially noticeable if you try to read multiple paragraphs from the same page of my OneNote documents.

The reason that I took this approach was because I wanted to gradually expand and share my ideas. One paragraph at a time seemed to be the most gradual that I could get away with. I have now come to the conclusion that one paragraph at a time is too gradual.

Starting in 2018, I will be switching to one page at a time. This should allow me to provide better flow. It will also reduce the number of simple ideas that are never finished.

One of the reasons I had been using Tumblr is because that format is better suited than Blogger for short posts. If I'm going to update by the page, Blogger appears to be a better format. I have already been including updates on my personal blog. This will become my primary location for posting updates.

A lot of old text will be written. I have also decided to post twice a month. On top of all of that, a few behind-the-scenes tweaks will be made. More details about my approach will eventually be added to a new OneNote document and shared through this blog.

Proudly Pro-Ed


As I have already stated, I might try to slightly expand the Proudly Pro-Ed Tumblr blog by shifting some of my content to that blog. The general guideline will come down to whether or not I intend to include anything personal or if I am working on a series. Those types of posts will remain on Blogger. Admittedly, I'm not sure about how much content, if any, would actually be moved. Such content would count as one of my blog posts that I make about every three days.


Flickr


I have been expanding tags that I have been using in Flickr. This is primarily in the form of county and state information. I have also been adding information for bodies of water that an animal is using. Looking forward, I may need to rethink my approach to tagging, especially the next time I get a new computer.

Google+


Google+ remains in the background for me. There are no planned changes at this time.

eBird


I have cut back slightly on eBird since I have given a dog one of my big walks each week. Other than that, I do not plan to make any changes.

Recapping Changes

  • Pictures from a Sub-Amateur will be absorbed by my personal Tumblr.
  • My Idea Outlet will be absorbed by my personal blog starting with rewritten content. OneNote pages will be shared twice per month.
  • Minor modifications will be made in establishing what counts as a blog post for my personal requirement of posting once about every three days (days of the month divisible by three).

No comments:

Post a Comment