Monday, March 13, 2017

Brain Training

Although things have calmed down a bit lately, brain training games gained quite a bit of attention in recent years. I have heard mixed results from studies, but most seemed to come to the same conclusion. Brain training only helps you with the games you are playing.


Before I go any further, I should probably clarify that I don't have much experience with these games. I am going to shift to a relative of brain training that I know a little better. I was once asked about the value of Sudoku. What did I say? There is value the first time you solve a puzzle. Once you learn how to solve a Sudoku puzzle, you start applying the steps rather than relearning the process. Solving becomes more routine and mindless the more puzzles you do.

I believe that forcing yourself to think in new ways has value. As such, exposing yourself to a wide variety of mental activities can be beneficial. The problem is that brain training tends to focus on a limited variety of exercises that are repeated. Feel free to do some Sudoku puzzles, but don't overdo them. Add a wider variety of puzzles and exercises. More importantly, we need to expand beyond just right-or-wrong puzzles and exercises. An overwhelming majority of thought in this world does not fit that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment