Sunday, June 26, 2016

Vacation 2016 - Montana to Wyoming

It was kind of nice watching a little television last night. I got to watch the Carbonaro Effect for the first time since dropping cable. I had seen most of the episodes, but I managed to get one that I hadn’t seen. Of course, the biggest benefit to staying at a hotel was not having to put away a tent before continuing. We got out early and made a lot of progress before our first and likely only real stop today.


Although we primarily pursue nature, today was a day for history. We spent quite a bit of time at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. Wouldn’t you know it, we arrived for a 140th anniversary celebration. They had a nice presentation by one of the monuments with a bugler, Calvary, and even a Custer look-a-like. It is unlikely that we will ever have another opportunity to get these kinds of pictures. Of course, this created a drawback of larger crowds than ideal.

Even though this stop was focused on history, we still found some good birds. I am going to have to wait to try to identify some species, but I think I got my first Nighthawks. At one point earlier in this trip, we were considering staying at a campground that was known for Great Horned Owls and Nighthawks. It looks like passing on that campground was the right choice for us. We have now managed to get both elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment