Monday, May 23, 2016

My breakdown of human rights

The United Nations created a document a long time ago that defines their views on human rights. I haven't read the document, but I know that they insist that forced schooling (compulsory education) is a human right that must be provided by the government. Since schooling is designed to seize rights from innocent children, this is enough to disprove the document's value.

I have been critical of the modern U.S. due to our diminishing rights. Since I refuse to accept the United Nations skewed list, what are the rights that I speak of? In all honesty, I have never really explored that question. There are a lot of things that seem obvious to me, such as the rights to individuality, thought, education (that's true education, not schooling), and beliefs. I just haven't tried to list what I consider human rights.

To me, a right is something that we should expect to be available to all members of humanity. No right should ever be controlled or overly regulated. Instead, rights should be protected. These are the kinds of things that I want to explore.

I am going to try to keep this series of blog posts disconnected from outside sources. This should allow me to better form ideas for myself instead of resorting to influences. For example, I will not even read the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights. My current intentions are to create a list of broad rights. This will be followed by more specific rights. I will also explore some things that may be viewed as fundamental human rights that I feel should not qualify. I'm sure that I will miss a lot, but I'm also sure that I will come up with fundamental rights that are not usually considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment