Monday, April 25, 2016

What it would take for me to play sports

I have made a number of posts where I have criticized the direction that sports have taken. The more I think about this, the more I feel that sports as recreation would be more desirable than modern professional sports. For various reasons, I don't feel comfortable getting into recreational sports. I have decided to examine what would be required for me to change directions and start playing.


For me, the biggest problem is that I don't want to jump in. I am completely inexperienced, and I don't want to ruin the experience for others. For me, I would need a casual environment that embraces the idea that not everybody is familiar with the rules. I would only be comfortable if I had a path that would enable me to actually learn a sport.

I would also need options. The reality is that you can't know how much you would enjoy a sport unless you actually play it. I have some suspicions about some sports that I might like more than others, but there is no way that I would ever commit to one unless I had time to familiarize myself with playing it first.

I'm not going to lie. Resources are another factor for me. Years ago, I decided that being a good person was more important to me than having a good job. I have refused to take certain actions that could help my career such as subjecting myself to a mentally destructive collegiate environment (although I regrettably finished high school) and embracing selfishness. When you're not all about money, you are not likely to have a lot to spare. I can't afford a lot of equipment just to try a sport.

Since sports create a risk for injury, health is another concern. Again, I have limited resources, I can't afford an adequate insurance plan at this time. I also have serious issues with changes in the health care laws that have given our oppressive government more control over our lives. Under this model, I do not want to use insurance if I can help it. This is obviously something that needs to change.

I guess I should probably summarize this. The way to get me to start playing sports is to open up more casual recreational sports environments and improve my resources. Obviously, the latter is entirely my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment