Friday, April 29, 2016

Harriet Tubman and the $20 bill

When the U.S. Treasury announced that Harriet Tubman would be the new face of the $20 bill, I struggled. I didn't like the idea that they would change currency just because they felt they needed to have a black woman included.


I actually hate that my mind took me in that direction. The liberals in this country have been pushing race and gender hard in recent years, and frequently make decisions primarily based on minority status. It's to the point where you have to assume that these kinds of decisions are based on race and gender rather than the actual person.

This has become a major problem in this country. For those of us who reject political correctness as the foundation of every single decision, we are becoming more hesitant to embrace well accomplished minorities. There a great blacks, and there are great women. There is no question whatsoever that Harriet Tubman was great for our country, and certainly more worthy of our currency than Andrew Jackson.

I should also point out that I am not a traditionalist. I refuse to embrace the idea that the people on the front of our currency through the end of time should be based off of who we wanted to represent the country when we made our current selections.

Whether or not I can support the decision to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 comes down to one thing. Why did they make this decision? Is it because of her accomplishments, or is it because of her minority status?

Unfortunately, the Treasury was up front that they were looking for a woman. Judging from the changes to the backs of the different bills, being black obviously helped her with the selection. This is something that I will not support.

Personally, I think the liberals are doing Tubman a disservice. They are telling us that her skin color and gender are more important than her accomplishments. I care far more for her fight against slavery than her minority status. As far as I'm concerned, the liberals just trivialized the accomplishments of a great black woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment