Thursday, February 25, 2016

Apple and the FBI

I am an uninformed American. Unlike most uninformed Americans, I can at least admit it. With how the American media acts, how can we not be uninformed?


I have written a number of posts over the years where I criticize the media for various mistakes they make. I have also written about various stories when I feel that my opinion can have value. It has occurred to me that there is something else I should be doing. I should be calling out the media when they conveniently omit key details regarding various stories.

For those who still haven't figured out that I give away the contents of my posts in my titles, I want to talk about the ongoing dispute between Apple and the FBI. This has turned into a "whose side are you on?" story. A significant number of comments I have read have the facts wrong.

People have defended the FBI on the grounds that they only asked Apple to unlock the phone associated with the shooter in the San Bernardino attack. Backers of Apple insist that Apple has been asked to hand over software to allow the FBI to unlock any phone they want. As far as I can tell, both of these arguments are wrong, and I honestly can't criticize either of these sides for their mistakes. I can, however, criticize the media.

I have partially read a copy of a court order (from February 19 rather than the original, which I still have not located), although I have to admit that I couldn't find the order from any official sources. You would think the media would provide links to a document that they have repeatedly cited. I will try to explain what's going on, but I can't guarantee 100% accuracy. After all, this information is not as easy to find as it should be.

The phone in question was an iPhone 5C. The phone has been encrypted, and the phone has a feature enabled that will make data inaccessible after ten failed attempts to unlock it. Apple left an option with these phones to update the operating system. The FBI has ordered Apple to create a variant of the operating system that would disable this feature. Due to Apple's ownership of the source code and the requirement for a digital signature, Apple is the only company that can produce this software.

The court order allows for Apple to maintain control over the software. Apple can even have physical possession of the phone in order to update the operating system. Once the phone's software has been modified, Apple has been given permission to destroy the code.

After installing the software, the FBI would regain control of the phone. They have not asked Apple to unlock the phone. The FBI would engage in a brute force approach to finding the PIN, and it would be the FBI taking responsibility for searching the contents of the phone.

Of course, all of this relies on the idea that Apple would develop software solely for the purpose of undermining its operating system's security. It's impossible to know with any certainties what the consequences of these actions would be, even if they try to destroy it. There are also concerns with setting precedence.

I don't want to form your opinions for you regarding this dispute, but I prefer that people don't get aggressive with their opinions regarding a story that they don't even know. The media is so interested in grabbing readers that they focus more on fueling the fire than informing. When this has become such a big story, why is it so wrong to know what the story actually is? That's right. Informing Americans doesn't benefit the corrupt American media's bottom line.

No comments:

Post a Comment