Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Hanjie Process XVI

If you have visited my Mental Exercise blog, you are probably aware of the fact that I have been making hanjie/nongram/griddler/crosspic/piccross/edel/Japanese puzzles for years. I have decided to show my process from start to finish on how I actually put these together including development of the image, preparing the numbers, testing, and conversion to PDF.


As I have stated before, a big part of how you solve these puzzles is not to look at rows and columns simultaneously, but to alternate between the rows and columns. We have pretty much exhausted what we can do right now on columns, so we are going back to the rows.

Like always, I have uploaded an updated spreadsheet. It can be found at: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2E6EFB80915ED5BD!9338&authkey=!AKt-JqmE5M_qdcI&ithint=file%2cxlsx

For this one, we are going to look at the 7th row.



We are going to look for how far left and how far right the 12 can go.



Like usual, we can look for the overlap. Keep in mind that the looking for the overlap only works for cells that you know belong to the same sequence. The 1, for example, is shaded in both of these sequences, but we don't know that it's shaded. The 5, 3, and 1 could all fit to the left of the unshaded cells, and the 12 could go all the way to the right. This ultimately means that we have 6 new cells to shade.


The puzzle with the new shaded cells can be found in the spreadsheet as worksheet 28.












Next time, we will continue this approach with additional rows.

Previous: My Hanjie Process XV
Next: My Hanjie Process XVII

No comments:

Post a Comment