Friday, November 27, 2015

My Hanjie Process XIV

If you have visited my Mental Exercise blog, you are probably aware of the fact that I have been making hanjie/nongram/griddler/crosspic/piccross/edel/Japanese puzzles for years. I have decided to show my process from start to finish on how I actually put these together including development of the image, preparing the numbers, testing, and conversion to PDF.


After my last post, I set myself up for a fairly easy (but not that brief) post. Like usual, I have created a spreadsheet. This one can be found at: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2E6EFB80915ED5BD!9241&authkey=!AJMzB2JEmqifp88&ithint=file%2cxlsx

Worksheet 21 has been included, which is the same as how we last had everything. As promised, I'm going to write about the 22nd column. I have conveniently added a red border below.

Notice how we have every cell either shaded or indicated that it will not be shaded. That means this column is solved.

Before I go any further, I want to point something out. Let's go back to what we had before we added the unshaded cells last time. The column looked like the following image.

We could have taken a slightly different approach in solving this one. All we needed to do was look at the shaded cells versus the total above the column. We had marked 10 shaded cells. That is the total for the entire column. That means that everything else had to be unshaded, and the column was complete.

No matter how you come to the conclusion that the column is complete,  I recommend marking it. On paper, this would usually mean the you cross out the number. In Excel, I turn the numbers white. I also have another Excel-related quirk. If I have any gray cells above a column, that column is still not finished. To show that the entire column is complete, I change the fill of all of the cells above that column to white. All of this has been saved in my spreadsheet as worksheet 23, and the puzzle with all of our work so far can be seen below.

I have already let you know what my next post will be. I will be writing about the 26th column, which is the first column after all of those with the unshaded cells marked.
Previous: My Hanjie Process XIII
Next: My Hanjie Process XV

No comments:

Post a Comment