Saturday, November 7, 2015

Book: Walking at Chambers Creek

This year, I decided to do something that I had never done before. I have made a book that I am selling to the public. I was originally hoping that this book, Walking at Chambers Creek, would be done in time for the US Open. I ran into all sorts of delays, but I at least finished in time for the holidays.


The idea behind the book was to act as a guide as readers toured Chambers Creek Properties. Several changes have been made. The first section of the book features a walk through the park. The second section showcases our wildlife. This book has a lot of pictures and comes in at a whopping 186 pages.

The nature of self-published books means that this project is a little pricey. I provided an option for a softcover to cut down a little on price. Since I didn't want to sacrifice too much in regard to quality, I'm still using a higher (but not highest) quality paper than the cheap stuff. A preview of the book can be seen below.


Walking At Chambers Creek by Jason Taylor | Make Your Own Book

I also decided to add a couple pictures in my photo collection showing the almost complete version of the book. Those two pictures can be found at Flickr and below.

Looks familiarFinding the nest

I should point out that some things have changes since I finalized the text. Here is what did not make the book:

  1. I have had a couple of Western Scrub-jay sightings. One was in the trees above the East Slope Trail. The other was in the trees near the playground.
  2. I have added a few Newt sightings. I had a better camera for one of those sightings, so I now have better pictures than what can be found in the book.
  3. The locks on the Bridge to the Beach were removed during the US Open. Some new locks have been added, but there aren't nearly as many as the book indicates.
  4. I have finally successfully identified a Swainson's Thrush by sight in the Canyon.
  5. I once again pursued a lunar eclipse at the park. This does not change my comment about having as many eclipses as sunsets. With the timing of the eclipse, I easily justified pursuing a sunset on the same day.
  6. I recently found my first Eared Grebe on the Puget Sound.
  7. I have now seen Squid that have washed up on the beach.
  8. Although not actually new to the park, Thayer's Gulls were not in the book. This is primarily because I am currently trying to pay closer attention to our Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment