Saturday, October 3, 2015

Now is the time to hold back

On Thursday, there was a mass shooting at Umpqua Community College. I'm sure anyone reading this is familiar with that tragedy. This is especially true since now that so many people, particularly among the media and politicians from both of our political parties, are trying to politicize the tragedy.


This is an emotional time. Emotions can cloud judgement. There are two reasons for people to push debates regarding the pros and cons of increased gun control and gun-free zones so shortly after a tragedy like this. Neither one is respectable.

Let me go after the lesser of two evils (sorry for the cliche). It can be difficult to keep your emotions in check. To an extent, I can handle people who can't help themselves and mention their opinions on gun violence. The problem with this is that the emotions that push your thoughts out into the open are going to cloud your thought. Even if you are sharing thoughts that you developed years ago, your exact argument can become skewed by anger and frustration. I don't take those kinds of thoughts seriously.

What's worse is when people feel that they are thinking rationally. Why would they bring up their views so soon after a tragedy? Because they think the emotions caused by the tragedy will help them get their points across. In other words, some people exploit the loss of lives in hopes that clouded judgement will help them push an agenda. This is highly unethical.

I'm not saying that you can't discuss a shooting while explaining your views on guns. What I'm saying is that we need to take some time off. I would rather have the general public rationally think things through rather than make hasty changes during a vulnerable time. I know that I have occasionally spouted things off based off of emotion, but I at least have enough sense to try to hold back. I wish more people would do the same. I'm open to a discussion on guns, but we need to wait at least a month to clear our minds first.

No comments:

Post a Comment