Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mental health

Mental health is a taboo subject. That's too bad. Much like physical health, mental health is something that we should care about.


Among my concerns is that we are too afraid to talk. I'm guilty myself. I don't like talking about my mental health concerns because people with mental health concerns are considered scary. Some mental health problems can result in actions that harm others.

Do you know one thing that can lead to those harmful actions? Failure to prevent and correct potential mental health problems. If you fear mentally unstable individuals, perhaps it would be best to help stabilize their mental health. Ignoring problems won't do anyone any good.

I would be lying if I claimed not to have any potentially serious concerns regarding my mental health. I'm going to be a bit hypocritical here and not discuss them. Some people might over-react or misinterpret my concerns. Until we are more open to these kinds of discussions, I will try to take care of things myself.

What I will say is that I frequently evaluate my mental health. I am frequently taking actions to reduce stress and other potential contributors to mental health decay. I also look for ways to vent. It's no secret that addressing my mental health concerns is one of the purposes for this blog. One of the worst things I can do right now is bottle up all of my frustrations.

I might push myself to open up a little further in the future. For now, I will take the same hybrid bottle-up/vent approach that has not yet led to any serious break down.

Don't fear me. Everything that I have said about myself in this post are parts of being human. If none of the above comments do not apply to you, I have one thing to beg of you. Quit lying to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment