Monday, June 23, 2014

2014 Road Trip - Sunset Bay to Del Norte

I never got around to writing about last night’s campground walk. Since we repeated and expanded this morning, that was a bigger focus of mine. We walked from the campground, to the day-use area (before it opened) and walked far enough along the trail to add the Cape Arago Lighthouse to our list. The walk seemed like it would be long enough that I really should count the birds.


Like yesterday, a lot of our trips weren’t worth the bird counts. This includes Cape Arago, Bullards Beach, Face Rock, Cape Blanco, Cape Sebastien, Samuel H. Boardman, Harris Beach, and Battery Point. I did count birds at Coquille Point. We also made a quick stop at South Slough. Although this is normally a wildlife area, the short time frame kept me from maintaining a proper list. Similar reasoning was used at two stops within Bandon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge.

In addition to the Cape Arago Lighthouse, we added Coquille River, Cape Blanco, and Battery Point Lighthouses. Coquille River Lighthouse was seen from Bullards Beach. Cape Blanco Lighthouse was predictably noticeable from Cape Blanco State Park. Battery Point was by a small park in California. Since the tide was out (we timed that well), we could walk up to the pseudo-island on which the lighthouse was built.

The day ended with a quick walk around our campground. We have set up our tent at the Mills Creek Campground in Del Norte Redwoods State Park. Supposedly, a bear is treating the campground as its home. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any signs of it.

A quick list of wildlife seen that will not appear on eBird includes White-crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Chipmunks, Crows, Gulls, Murres, Guillemots, Vultures, Barn Swallows, Snakes, a Goldfinch, Great Blue Herons, and Steller’s Jays.

UPDATE 1: I have added pictures from Sunset Bay State Park and an eBird checklist.

UPDATE 2: I had added a picture from Cape Arago State Park for a family photo challenge.

UPDATE 3: I have added a picture from Bullards Beach State Park.

UPDATE 4: I have added pictures from Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge and an eBird checklist.

UPDATE 5: I have added a picture from Face Rock State Scenic Viewpoint.

UPDATE 6: I have added a picture from Cape Sebastian State Scenic Corridor.

UPDATE 7: I have added a picture from Samuel H. Boardman State Scenic Corridor.

UPDATE 8: I have added a picture from Harris Beach State Park.

UPDATE 9: I have added a picture from Battery Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment