Friday, May 30, 2014

Neo-pessimism

I have been known to view myself as a pessimist of sorts. Even so, this world is way too pessimistic for me.


There's a difference between finding a lot of negatives and looking for negatives. I hate the modern world, but it's not like I want the world to be as horrible as I perceive.

In recent years, I have seen all sorts of comments scattered throughout the internet where people are clearly looking for negatives. They want everything to be as bad as they can imagine.

Let me just throw out a local example of this new form of extreme pessimism. We are about to host the US Open (2015). The USGA has repeatedly stated such things as how a nice clubhouse is not an important feature for the tournament. Even with all of the repetition, a lot of people have insisted that we were going to lose the tournament purely based on the missing clubhouse. People are starting to acknowledge that the tournament will happen, but they are still looking for ways to convince themselves that the Open will be a catastrophe.

This is part of the reason that I usually don't refer to myself as a pessimism. This neo-pessimism that is taking over is ridiculous. People want everything to be bad. I don't want to associate myself with that mentality. My pessimistic tendencies are because I am a realist and this world sucks. I'm not about to make up negatives purely for the sake of pessimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment