Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My Hanjie Process I

If you have visited my Mental Exercise blog, you are probably aware of the fact that I have been making hanjie/nongram/griddler/crosspic/piccross/edel/Japanese puzzles for years. I have decided to show my process from start to finish on how I actually put these together including development of the image, preparing the numbers, testing, and conversion to PDF.


Not everything is going to be detailed. I'm not going to explain the full process of finding an image. I will at least start by saying that I have an Excel spreadsheet that allows me to pick a random picture. Currently, this is what I use for most of my puzzles. There are other options such as manipulating clip art and creating the whole thing by hand. I have done both of those things in the past, but I usually go after my pictures.

When I find a picture, I take a look at it. If it's too complicated or if it would not look decent black and white, I will find another. For example, my first random picture was the Playground by the Sound covered in snow.

Playground by the Sound

If I used this picture, you wouldn't be able to tell that the fence is a fence. The trees would look less like trees. The trees would have to be black, which would make the puzzle less interesting. What about the fence in the foreground? White would blend in with the snow. Black would blend in with the trees, slides, and parts of the playground. This picture would not be a good choice.

Here's another random picture:

Challenge 21 - Afflicted

By losing detail, the crab would no longer be a crab. It would still look like something. Grays don't translate well. The wings and back side could be white, but that wouldn't look very good. I could take a liberty and turn those parts black. The body blends in a bit with the water, which could make the process of converting a little tricky. This may not be ideal, but it appears possible.

At this point, I make a temporary copy of the image. I will delete the picture when I am done. My next step will be to convert the image into a black-and-white low resolution version.

Next: My Hanjie Process II

No comments:

Post a Comment