Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Xbox 1 or PlayStation 4 IV

Talk about anti-climactic. In my last video game post, I explained that I vowed never to buy another PlayStation console until Sony changed their ways. They are still arrogant and reliant on marketing and brand recognition to compensate for their inability to contribute to the industry. Obviously, I will not be buying a PlayStation 4.


I should probably take a step back and explain how I feel these consoles compare. The PlayStation 4 appears to have a little more performance, but that will only be utilized for gameplay-neglecting "AAA" titles. A bigger advantage would be the price.

The Xbox One isn't adding as much as I would have hoped. Microsoft is including an updated Kinect. For various reasons (limited value for a bedroom, not entirely confident in my console's remaining life, seemed like first would be experimental in comparison to future versions), I skipped Kinect this generation. Here's the bottom line. The Xbox One can do things that the PlayStation 4 can't. You really can't reverse that statement.

In terms of functionality, the PlayStation 4 doesn't offer anything that I can't get with my Xbox 360. I could get an improved Kinect to replace... I don't have a similar product for comparisons.

I'm not paying $400 to get what I already have. I should point out that I'm also unwilling to pay $500 for the new Kinect. More than likely, I will eventually cave and buy the Xbox One. I'm certainly not ready, and I plan on waiting for multiple price drops.

That was going to be the end of this series, but I honestly feel that I should at least discuss alternatives to these two consoles. Expect one final post to look at potential alternatives to the Xbox One.

Previous: Xbox 1 or PlayStation 4 III
Next: Xbox 1 or PlayStation 4 V

No comments:

Post a Comment