Saturday, May 25, 2013

Taylor Family Sub-Amateurs

If you have been looking at my Flickr account, you might have noticed that I am a member of a group called Taylor Family Sub-Amateurs. What is this group? I set it up as a place to share vacation pictures.

As I have explained in a previous post, my photo collection usually includes pictures from a sister of mine. When I go through vacation pictures, I compare our pictures instead of selecting pictures for each of us. Since we want to share our vacations with other family members, our group is a single location for both of us. For example, if I get a better shot of a waterfall and she gets a better picture of a mountain, you can go to the group pool for both instead of each of our accounts.

I only include some of our trips in this group. We both walk around Chambers Creek Properties, but I don’t bother throwing pictures from those walks in the middle of vacations. They do not get added to the group pool.

What are my guidelines when determining what gets added and what doesn’t. That could change over time, but for now it is based off of my Vacation Log. My vacation log is where I write about the vacations I take (which are later typed and posted to my blog). With day trips, I can usually write down some notes and wait until I get home to write down any details (usually nothing more than eBird posts). For overnight trips, I prefer the Vacation Log (formerly Nature Log) so that I can write things down while it’s still fresh in my mind (although I have been known to occasionally wait too long to remember certain details). This means that the Taylor-Family Sub-Amateur group is used for trips that are overnight or longer.

At this point, my sister and I are the only family members on Flickr. If that changes, I would allow other family members to join as long as they agreed to similar guidelines.

Keep in mind that this isn’t about quality as much as it’s about sharing. I’m not sharing the best of a vacation. I’m trying to include as much as I can justify. Hopefully people won’t hate the inclusion of all sort of sub-amateur pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment