Monday, March 11, 2013

Regarding my mental health

Mental health is a touchy subject right now. People are afraid to look at how they are doing mentally because anything found will make them look bad in the eyes of others.

Why is this? Athletes stretch before competing in order to prevent physical health problems. Why can’t we take measures to prevent mental health problems?

I have no intentions of a mental collapse. I frequently evaluate myself. I have a sense of what I feel could cause problems. I avoid situations that could add to my problems. I frequently play mind games with myself that are meant to ensure that I can maintain control over my emotions.

I’m not going to detail my problems at this time. When people see someone who acknowledges problems, they seem to think that the person in question is scary. I do have problems, but so do you. It is impossible to avoid all mental health problems much like it is impossible to avoid all physical health problems. I just don’t want to explain my problems to those who don’t comprehend the reality of mental health.

Hopefully, others will look out for their own mental health. I’m not demanding that everybody goes out and finds a shrink. The person who needs to best understand your mental situation should be you. Evaluate yourself often. More importantly, be honest with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment