Sunday, March 31, 2013

On paper or on ice

What is more likely to convince people to give hockey a chance, improving the product on paper or improving the product on the ice? What’s on the ice doesn’t matter if you can’t get people to tune in, so what’s on paper is generally more valuable.

As I keep saying, the quality of NHL hockey has declined significantly ever since the league decided to pad the stats on paper. I’m not like most people. I make up my own mind when it comes to what I like. I don’t care about what’s on paper. I care about the game on the ice, and that’s where the rule changes have hurt.

I used to enjoy every game that I watched. If my team lost, it was worth watching. I would spend entire games literally sitting on the edge of my seat. I tended to lean forward, forgetting that my seat had a back. Now, I sit back in my chair and get distracted easily. I enjoyed losses in the past more than I enjoy wins today. In fact, things have gotten so bad that I had to cut my viewing down to a single team.

No comments:

Post a Comment