Tuesday, February 19, 2013

From GBBC to eBird

The Great Backyard Bird Count for 2013 has come to an end. In the next several days, my checklists will be updated with pictures taken. When those updates are complete, I will post links to each of my checklists.

Now that I have an eBird account, my habits will be changing slightly. Here’s a quick explanation of how things will be changing.

 

Before GBBC During GBBC After GBBC
Keep track of species for each walk. Keep track of species for each walk. Keep track of species for each walk.
Birds are not counted. Count each species for each walk when possible. Take pictures to help. Keep note of birds that I will likely encounter later that I can add to totals. Estimate minimum of each species for each walk. Birds spotted in multiple areas are rarely added together.
Periodic stops if there is a reasonable chance to add a species for the day. Frequent stops if there is chance to add a species or increase counts. Periodic stops if there is a reasonable chance to add a species for the day. No stops for counting.
Walk at normal pace. Walk at slow pace. Walk at normal pace.
Most walks are alone. I am always walking with someone. Most walks are alone.
Walks generally start around sunrise. Walks likely to start around sunrise, but I may adjust for the weather. Walks generally start around sunrise.
Bring camera if weather is good for cameras. Bring camera unless I expect rain. I will still bring my camera if I expect showery weather. Bring camera if weather is good for cameras.
Take pictures if there is a chance to improve on my existing collection. Take pictures if I don’t have better for that day. Take pictures if there is a chance to improve on my existing collection or if I feel that I a picture would help explain a sighting.
Share pictures if they are mediocre or better representations of species that I have not yet captured at a location or if they improve on pictures already shared. Share pictures if they are mediocre or better representations of species seen that day. Narrow the selection slightly to upload to the Great Backyard Bird Count website. Share pictures if they are mediocre or better representations of species that I have not yet captured at a location, if they improve on pictures already shared, or if I intend to share a picture on eBird.
List sightings on a public spreadsheet. Count sightings on a public spreadsheet then submit the information to eBird. Count sightings on a public spreadsheet then submit the information to eBird.
Lump similar species together. Try to identify species when there is a similar species. Take pictures to help. Try to identify species when there is a similar species.

No comments:

Post a Comment