Friday, December 7, 2012

If you believe in god, you had better be right

One argument that I have heard to succumb to religious fanaticism is that you are doomed to an eternity in hell if you don’t devote your life to a spiteful god. These same people also insist that if they are wrong about god, you are out nothing. I disagree.

Take a look at global warming. I don’t want to turn this into a discussion about the legitimacy of global warming, but I can use this to help prove my point. Many religious people believe that god controls the world and therefore the climate. In their minds, it is completely worthless to fight global warming because that is essentially fighting god.

What if these people are wrong? What if global warming is real? Then these people are causing serious harm to future generations.

It’s not just that. There are a lot of situations where those who believe in god will assume that he will intervene if we screw things up too badly. In other words, those who are religious are less likely to take responsibility for their actions.

I could throw in other religious issues such as religious extremists, but let me just get to the point. If you are devoted to your religious beliefs, you could very well be damaging this world for all of us. If this is the case, you had better be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment