Wednesday, November 21, 2012

If I had children

I’m sure there are people out there who read my posts and see my refusal to mindlessly conform to the flawed views of the mindless masses. I’m sure there are a lot of people who are grateful that I haven’t brought any children into an environment of forced mindlessness. But what if I did?

The obvious thing to realize is that I would not send my kids to school. I would encourage my children to learn. I would try to provide them with as many resources as they need. I would get out of their way when necessary. I would insist that their educations are their own responsibilities rather than the responsibility of a series of apathetic teachers who will likely each know the kids for less than a year.

I would also try to raise my children to be the best people they can be. I would promote basic morals and let them know that who they become is more important than what they can become. I would let them develop values of their own, but I would step in if I saw any emerging problems. Potential problems would include obsession with money or power, refusal to accept that others have different viewpoints, and all sorts of potentially harmful values.

Another big deal for me is that I would acknowledge that they are not just like me. I would encourage them to form their own beliefs and opinions. I would try to expose them to numerous activities, environments, and more. I would downplay my personal interests and try to convince them to pursue anything that they love, even if I don’t personally enjoy those pursuits.

A lot of people try to take what they learned from their lives and apply that to their children. In the end, children tend to be pushed into living the lives that their parents wanted. Other parents push their kids through the schools (usually while still pushing their own interests on them) in hopes that the schools will shape them into a successful adult. Of course, these children consistently sacrifice human decency to reach that point. I don’t think that way. My children would need to be the best people that they can be, and that requires utilization of natural strengths and interests. Perhaps my children would hate me for it, but I would prefer that they would be good people rather than have good jobs (as bad people).

No comments:

Post a Comment