Thursday, January 5, 2012

It’s hard to be a good person

Being the best me that I can be is among my highest priorities. I have made multiple attempts to improve myself, but I have always fallen victim to societal pressure to act like a bad person.

To be a good person, you need to strive to make this world a better place. This requires acknowledgement of flaws in society. Since members of society don’t want to think that they are wrong, ideas for our betterment are rarely socially acceptable. People who are pushing for societal advancement are turned into outcasts.

To make matters worse, common influences and well promoted beliefs and opinions can push the mainstream to loyally support flawed ideas. For example, the schools have misused the word “education” so much that the mainstream assumes that our anti-educational schooling system is educational. If you see the schools for what they really are, your beliefs will be ridiculed.

Part of the problem is that mainstream mentality has become so strong that people who don’t conform will be viewed as horrible and unintelligent people. People don’t like to be associated with these labels. They are afraid of how they will appear if they think for themselves, so they never take the time to learn what they actually think. They mindlessly repeat the mainstream to prove their mental abilities.

Nobody who thinks for himself will ever fit perfectly with what is socially acceptable. There is just too much conformity for independent thinkers to be accepted in the modern world. I’m not talking about myself here. All independent thinkers are socially unacceptable.

In order to progress, you need to think about the problems of the world and how to improve. Those who conform to what is acceptable to the mainstream are seriously mistreating the people who can contribute to meaningful progress. We effectively discourage people from becoming good people.

We also provide legitimate obstacles to those who want to become good people. Look at how businesses work. Employers aren’t going to take a risk on a socially unacceptable individual. In a money-driven world, this takes away from what good people are allowed to do. In some situations, finances can even threaten the survival of some of the best people around.

I’m not tooting my own horn. The bottom line is that I have to classify myself as one of the bad guys right now. I frequently set aside who I really want to be due to my own cowardice. I’m watching the world fall apart in front of me. I see a lot of the problems, but I always cave to the pressure provided by the mindless masses. It could be worse, however. Unlike most people, I at least understand what I need to do to become a decent (but unacceptable) person.

No comments:

Post a Comment