Sunday, November 27, 2011

Who I am is more important than what I am.

When we are kids, we are bombarded with a cliché of a question. “What do you want to be when you grow up.” I hate that question. Instead, we should really be asking, “Who do you want to be when you grow up?”

Watch a game show sometime. Contestants will be asked by the show’s host to talk about themselves. In most situations, their job will be mentioned. If not, they will mention why they don’t have a job (unemployed, retired, or student). It’s like people think that they are their jobs. Obviously, that’s just an example. These days, people consistently define themselves and others by their profession.

How about another example? Let’s say that you’re a doctor. That must mean that you’re the kind of person who helps others out. Or at least you do when there is a paycheck involved. That doesn’t exactly explain anything about who you are when you are away from the job. It does nothing to explain your motives. It does nothing to help us understand your beliefs and opinions. It doesn’t tell me anything about whether or not someone like you can be a friend to someone like me.

I used to follow the path of the mindless masses. I didn’t like it. Others were trying to influence my career path, but I lost the path that I should be following. Instead of dedicating my life to getting a respectable job, I should be dedicating my life to becoming the best person that I can be. This is a mentality that is definitely not socially acceptable, and people look down on me for trying to better myself rather than bettering my work life. This is why I have frequently backed down on what I view as right. Hopefully, I will eventually overcome societal pressure and become the person that I’m capable of becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment