Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Summer Idiocy

This post was adapted from something that I had previously written.
Whenever we have a cool winter, people complain, Whenever we have a hot summer, we complain. Even when we have a mild summer, we complain. No matter what kind of whether we have in the Puget Sound Region, people complain.

As for our reputation for complaining regardless of weather conditions, let me point out the obvious. Those enjoying the weather are less likely to find a public outlet for their opinions than those who have frustration to vent. While a handful of people might complain about both nice weather and sunny weather, most complaints are coming from people of varying opinions. Maybe I should try to write more about the positives in this world, but I think that it's in my best interest to do something about what I have been bottling up over the years. Ranting about the few positives in this world does very little to keep me from snapping.

In our conformist world, many people might view me as an inferior specimen of a human being for preferring cool weather with overcast conditions and/or showers rather than warm and sunny. I do not believe in mindlessly agreeing with the majority. It would be a sign of mental weakness if I simply accepted the socially acceptable meteorological opinions as my own.

I'm not going to insist that anyone who likes heat is automatically imbecilic. I'm also not going to insist that anyone who shares my opinions is automatically intelligent. I will say that the dumbest of the dumb are almost certain to side with the sun worshippers. As a result, those who complain above 70 degrees (although some 60 degree days have been known to get to me) are far more intelligent on average than those who criticized our mildest summers. Most people have not formed their own opinions. Before bad-mouthing the weather that I love, try to get outside on cool and drizzly days. Keep an open mind and form your own opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment