Monday, January 17, 2011

Rotating Text in Excel

This is a tip for absolute beginners to Excel. Most people who are familiar with the program should be well aware of this feature.

My sightings spreadsheet can be found at:
https://cid-2e6efb80915ed5bd.office.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Notes/Sightings.xlsx?

I have been keeping track of wildlife sightings in an Excel file. In that file, I list what I see by date. Each sighting is noted with the number 1. Columns are headed by dates. I like having a lot of columns visible, but these headers can increase column widths significantly. What should I do?

If you are already experienced in Excel or have opened the spreadsheet in Excel (I should point out that WebApps do not appear to support this formatting option), you should know the answer. All you have to do is change the orientation of the text. In the Home tab, a text-orientation button can be found with Alignment options.

imageClick on the arrow next to this button, and you can get a quick list of orientations. I usually rotate text up, but rotating down and using vertical text should work just as well. You can also change orientation by right-clicking on a cell and selecting Format Cell. Orientation can be found in the Alignment tab.
One reason to use this formatting option is to reduce paper waste. I have encountered numerous spreadsheets with headers that are larger than content widths. Changing the text orientation can allow more columns to fit on a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment