Saturday, October 24, 2020

Referendum 90

Here in Washington, sex education is on the ballot. In particular, I am talking about Referendum 90. If approved, Referendum 90 will give the state the power to create a statewide curriculum on sex education.

If you know me, I don't waste my time writing what others have already written. Most arguments have related to curriculum. Supporters insist that the curriculum can tackle important subjects that they feel are being neglected. Critics insist that the curriculum is not age-appropriate. Personally, I have yet to find a legitimate source for the proposed curriculum. While I have concerns about the state imposing a curriculum that they're hiding, my primary focus is not on the specifics of the curriculum.

What the state is proposing is to have the state develop a set curriculum for all students. A set curriculum is never a good idea. What I mean by a set curriculum is a curriculum created for a group without considering the unique needs of those subjected to the curriculum. In other words, there will be students subjected to the curriculum whose unique needs were not considered when the curriculum was developed. As I have stated numerous times over the years, one of the biggest problems with our schools is the inability to accommodate the needs of the individual. The state's proposal in no way considers the variability of individual needs.

What children should be learning is not consistent between children. By developing a consistent curriculum, you embrace the same problems that are already highly visible in subject such as math, English, science, social studies, and more. Instead of teaching children what they should be learning, you are lumping them together as though they are all the same. You are neglecting what makes each and every child unique.

I have seen the anti-educational Washington Education Association endorse the referendum. Although I have some concerns about adults demanding to have sexual discussions with children, I'm going to stick with my primary argument. I'm far more concerned with individual-appropriate curriculum than age-appropriate curriculum. Set curriculum will never be individual-appropriate. The WEA's support says far too much.

Set curriculum was a serious problem when I was in school. If schools are openly supporting set curriculum, then they clearly failed to learn from their mistakes. Codifying a requirement of a set curriculum into law in any subject enforces the same mistakes our schools have always been making. If the WEA supports the referendum, then they obviously still embrace the anti-individualistic concept of set curriculum. They are making it far too clear that they haven't changed since I did my time in their schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment