Thursday, August 27, 2020

Short Stories - Dystopia III

Sometimes, it's best to leave your comfort zone. I have decided to push myself for some creativity. I'm not a writer (as if you couldn't tell), but I have decided to push that aside to write some corny stories. The text below is from one of these stories.


Days have passed, and Prota's guardian has decided to prepare her for a job. The play center will be holding an open house. The purpose of this open house is to boost the play center's reputation in the community. All children in the center are expected to provide their services and work free of charge on behalf of their guardians.

Prota's guardian brought up the job immediately after the daily vow, which she is now successfully reciting from memory. "When someone speaks for herself, the public may think that it's self-serving. When a neutral third party speaks on someone's behalf, the public is more likely to trust the message. As a neutral third party, I would like you to speak on my behalf."

Prota nodded in agreement. Her guardian continued. "Much like our daily vow, I want you to remember then recite a pre-written message. You're still young, so I'll keep this short"

The guardian walked to the front of the room and grabbed a piece of paper. She turned back and started reading.

"I have found my time at this play center to be vital to my life. Without it, I would be wasting my childhood and risking my future. You can thank my guardian for that. She can explain best what she needs to support me in my youth, so please support everything that she has to say."

When Prota heard that she would be risking her future without her guardian, she became uneasy. Not wanting to live with that risk, she was open to showing her obedience.

A month went by, and Prota was ready. She spoke on behalf of her guardian. So did about two hundred other children. All recited messages followed the same general pattern. They told the public to support their guardians. Prota felt uneasy for the role she played, but she never felt like she had a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment