Tuesday, August 18, 2020

My Idea Outlet: Sports>Recreation>Youth

A new page, Recreation>Youth, has been added to my Sports notebook for My Idea Outlet. The contents can be found below.


I am not going to go into as much depth with youth sports as I will with recreational leagues. Why? Because youth sports could be viewed as a type of recreational play. A lot that applies to adult recreational leagues would also applied to youth sports.

The biggest difference is age. It's not always easy to put fully grown me in games alongside children. This is especially true for contact sports.

In many ways, I want a youth sports model to take over for school sports leagues. This means that these leagues should target children through roughly graduation age. At that point, they would be expected to switch over to the adult model.

Youth sports can vary depending on the sport. The general guideline would be to create co-ed teams with roughly equal ability. Ages would likely be further broken down. Alternatively, you could embrace weight classes or a mix of age and weight. This could potentially even out strength more than a simple age split. Travel should be minimized.

Although I prefer to focus on recreational opportunities, I don't want to eliminate options for more advanced athletes to elevate their game. One way to do this would be to invite some athletes to play in a higher level league such as an all-star league. The other option would be to allow some athletes to move up to the next age bracket. In both cases, the numbers should be low. Nobody should be informed that they are below average, so this absolutely can't be as high as 50%. The absolute maximum that I would be willing to go would be 25%, but I would prefer 10% or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment