Monday, March 18, 2019

My Idea Outlet: Presentation Software>Presentation Software>About

A new page, Presentation Software>About, has been added to my Presentation Software notebook for My Idea Outlet. The contents can be found below.


A lot of jokes exist relating to PowerPoint. Several companies have tried to take on PowerPoint, but most consist of a gimmick added to the existing idea. Things have changed, and I am not convinced that a focus on slides is the best approach to presentation software.

If you know me, you know that I don't like to base my ideas off of the ideas of others. When I took some time to think about how software could be used for a presentation, I saw the potential for a drastically different approach. Instead of a focus on slides, I thought it would better to focus on the flow.

The core idea behind flow-based presentation software is to establish segments of a presentation and how to flow from one segment to the next. Done properly, this can allow a dynamic presentation rather than the static presentations created by existing presentation software. Tools would be included to help expand or constrict content based off of time expectations. Flexibility in the order of segments could be included in case a segment relies on something that may not be ready. Optional segments could be included based off of uncertain desires.

I have spent some time looking at how flow-based presentation software could work, although this certainly isn't my biggest or deepest idea. I intend to share some of these ideas right here. Among my goals is to explore flow-based structure, graphical and text-based interfaces, functionality at the time of a presentation, and options for adding to the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment