Thursday, September 7, 2017

Right to Phones

Phones have pretty much become mandatory. Phone numbers are required for all sorts of paperwork such as job applications and various forms of financial management. We are even starting to go further as numerous websites demand a cellular phone with texting for security purposes.


I hate phones. I go out of my way to avoid using them. Despite my personal feelings, I am actually writing this post using a device that most people call a cell phone. I'm a little reluctant to use that term myself since I don't use it as a phone.

Our reliance on phones has become so strong that the government has created laws solely for the purpose of helping individuals obtain phones. In a sense, we are treating phones as a right in that forceful manner that I have repeatedly criticized. Once again, government mandates should not be considered to be rights.

If you can look past all of the pressure to maintain a phone line, you will see that phones are not truly necessary. We are capable of leading full lives without communicating through our phone system. The forceful approach to phones takes away that option.

What we have seen with phones is not that we treat phone connections as a right. The real issue is that we reject the right to opt out of services that we really don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment