Saturday, April 9, 2016

I am a Canucks fan and an individual

Now that I am wrapping up my posts regarding the frustrating deterioration of the NHL, I feel that I need to clarify something. I am not representative of the Canucks fan base, and there is no excuse to judge other Canucks fans based on my comments.


We are living in a highly conformist era. When we can label someone, we assume that all people with that label are the same. To an extent, there is some validity to this since most people with that label will conform to the same stereotypes. I am a non-conformist. Nothing that I have stated was in any way influenced by other Canucks fans.

Ideally, I should not have to bring this up. We should all be individuals who think for ourselves. Unfortunately, you can find definitive trends in various groups such as fans of certain teams. While it is clearly wrong to make assumptions of individuals based off of certain labels, I can't deny the establishment of tendencies associated with various teams and those who support them. I just need to make sure that nobody thinks less of the Canucks organization because of my personal frustrations with the NHL. I am clearly too disconnected.

Similarly, my thoughts regarding the deterioration of the NHL are completely independent of my other beliefs and opinions that I have shared. If you believe that I'm messed up on this issue, that's no excuse to dismiss my other comments such as my common sense criticisms of our dangerous schooling system.

The big point I'm trying to make is obviously not really about hockey. I am an individual. As such, nobody else should face ridicule as a direct result of my actions. I believe what I'm saying, but I have been open to showing frustrations. I have also probably been a little harsh in how of have explained some of these frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment