Sunday, March 13, 2016

Why I don't play sports

On my education blog, I wrote a post about how I want physical education to change. This started me thinking about the reasons that I don't play sports. Before I go any further with this, I should probably bring up the simple reality that I am a unique individual. As such, my reasons are not going to be representative of typical humans and humanoids.


Let me start with my earlier years. While in school, I did the usual PE things. I got it caught in my head that I wasn't supposed to be athletic, so I frequently underestimated my abilities. I was introduced to a variety of sports. In many cases, these sports were dumbed down. Some were better than others, but the onesIa didn't like impacted me more than the ones I did. I had the women's basketball coach as one of my PE teachers, and I was forced to play basketball. I found that game to be incredibly boring.

I was not big into school sports. I caved and ended up on the track and field team. I did not like how that was organized. They didn't always let us know when we could be excused from our classes. I tried to do multiple events, but one would always close for registration while I was in the line for the other. When a race would begin, they failed to tell the runners. It didn't help that I was once accused of costing my team a win because I didn't run in a race that wasn't properly announced. I didn't stick with it.

My views of sports have shifted back and forth over the years. As I already stated, I didn't think that I was supposed to be into sports. A lot of this had to do with stereotyping. I was told that I was intelligent (although I definitely wasn't at that time). I also heard a lot about the dumb jock reputation. I let others dictate my views on sports. Once I shed my intelligent reputation for a lifestyle that actually included some independent thought, I started to realize that my views on sports were flawed.

I started watching baseball. Then I started watching hockey. I discovered CBC and started watching the Olympics regularly (American coverage is inexcusable). In more recent years, my viewing habits have reversed. The steroid era drove me away from baseball. Rule changes in the NHL that sacrificed excitement in favor or marketability drove me away from hockey. American propaganda and the loss of CBC (I no longer have cable) means that I am now done with the Olympics.

As I have turned against watching sports, my thoughts have turned to how playing could fill the void. Unfortunately, I have not seen a path that would be suitable for me. Most sports for people my age are geared toward recreational play for those who are already familiar with sports. There aren't many opportunities to start learning.

What if I played anyway? There is no question that I would be weak. I have no practical familiarity with any sport. If I played, I would harm the experience for everyone else. Unfortunately, I am not all about myself. I refuse to ruin a sport for others.

Additionally, there are insurance concerns. I now have health insurance, but only to be in compliance with an ill-conceived law. I am trying to avoid using the insurance like the plague that it is. Spin it all you want, but Obamacare increases the amount of control the government has over our lives. Since I have struggled for years over how little say I have over my own life (this clearly does not qualify as a free country), I will not embrace any power grabs by our government. Of course, without insurance that I'm willing to use, the risks related to sports are just too high.

Originally, I was just going to do a post about how I wanted to change Physical Education. Then I decided to explore why I don't play sports. I just realized something. I am going to add another post to the queue to explain what would need to change to get me to play. It will take some time before I even write it, but expect another follow-up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment