Sunday, April 12, 2015

We're next

The Masters is over. That means the next of the golf Majors will be at my local park.


In case anyone has missed it, I have been counting down the days until the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay. Each day, I have been including a picture that I have taken at the surrounding park, Chambers Creek Properties.

I have some mixed feelings, mostly positive. I'm somewhat excited about sharing this park with people who don't have anything quite like it. In a sense, I am spoiled by the fact that I live in the Northwest. People from other states should get to experience something like Washington at some point in their lives.

I also have a sense of curiosity in regards to how the event is treated. What will be said of my local park? How will the event transform our community? Will golf fans enjoy the environment as much as a local sub-amateur photographer who takes lengthy walks (me)?

Of course, all of this means a big inconvenience for me. Our local Ospreys have relocated, and construction has kept me from moving in closer. While I have an inflatable kayak that could help, it's not as easy to justify as walking. I have not yet used the kayak this year. I'm also losing a lot of my walking trails. In addition to the loss of the Central Meadow and beach access, we are about to lose the Soundview Trail. Further closures will be added until I simply can't access the park. Then, traffic will pick up, and it will be difficult to move around town.

Overall, I'm looking forward to sharing something special with the golf community. I hope everyone who attends the tournament has a great experience. I just have one request. The numerous people moving here from other states have seriously diminished our quality of life. Visit all you like, but please don't stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment